Accordion If you are planning to scrap your car and it will not be driven or kept on public roads, you are not required to make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) before scrapping it. SORN is typically used to declare that a vehicle is not being used on the road and is kept off public highways.

However, you should ensure that you inform the DVLA that you are disposing of the vehicle and provide them with the necessary details. This can be done by completing the relevant sections of the V5C registration certificate (logbook) and returning it to the DVLA. Alternatively, if you scrap your car through an authorized treatment facility or scrapyard, they will typically handle the paperwork and notify the DVLA on your behalf. Description